Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Satie-Gnossienne 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:09 am 

My first recording with my Edirol R-1 on my New York Steinway "A" 8) :D Take 6 or 7 of about ten this afternoon. More hiss than I would like to hear, the Itunes EQ preset "Lounge" removes a lot of it for playback. Please comment and discuss...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:06 am 
Site Admin

Nice recording! More music for the Montmartre Museum?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:32 pm 

robert wrote:
Nice recording! More music for the Montmartre Museum?

Yes, and for everyone! I will be recording more Satie over the summer, he's one of my current interests. Very difficult to play well, he's the epitome of anti-virtuosity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds good. Perhaps a bit more reverb ? What settings are you using ? And how would you get hiss in the recording at all ?

I'd say it's daringly slow though. Aren't these supposed to be dances ? Would be difficult to keep one's balance trying to dance at this... But it could be just me, I admit not being very attuned to Satie - though I love his idiotic comments in some works. And there's no denying his profound influence on all French composers since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:46 pm 

techneut wrote:
Sounds good. Perhaps a bit more reverb ? What settings are you using ? And how would you get hiss in the recording at all ?

I'd say it's daringly slow though. Aren't these supposed to be dances ? Would be difficult to keep one's balance trying to dance at this... But it could be just me, I admit not being very attuned to Satie - though I love his idiotic comments in some works. And there's no denying his profound influence on all French composers since.

In my mind's eye I see these dancers as temple dancers, and the dance is very slow and sinuous; they are dancing in homage to whatever god, not for spectacle or for pleasure. The dancing is meditative and reflective, not unlike some modern interpretive dance I've seen I think these pieces are similar in conception to Debussy's "Danseuses de Delphes", which was probably inspired by these pieces.

I just listened to my 3rd Gnoosienne and to Joffrey's recording of the first one then this one. Joffrey's 1st and my 3rd are about the same tempo, mine is a hair slower, but we both have the same "groove". 1 and 3 are both marked "lent", this 2nd one has no tempo marking, and is notated in such a way as to suggest triplets, I found it difficult to convey the triplet feeling, it kept lapsing into duplets. I think this Gnossienne should be about the same tempo as the other two, but it has a recititave or declamatory feel that the other two don't have. Perhaps my slow tempo is a result of my focus on the melodic line,and trying to phrase it coherently, and then the tempo slowed; I think it works though. LOL I like your description "daringly slow"..indeed playing slowly has it's own challenges, just like fast playing. In either case, it's our job to keep the listener's attention, and draw them into the world of the music we are playing. If I did this, I was successful.

Edirol settings, let's see I recorded this by putting the R-1 on my drum stool and placing it one foot from the grand piano, with the lid open. I put it on "Hiss Cut 97" after a few test recordings revealed a lot of hiss in the recorded sound. Interesting, when I listen to it off of this site it doesn't sound so bad, as when I listened to it while editing it. I edit with a free preogram called "Audacity" which I find easy to use for now, until I know what I'm doing. I was able to remove some hiss with it too.

Friends tell me that what I'm hearing are drafts and movements of air that we usually don't notice. Perhaps I'm being fussy, or listening too hard; does anyone elses hear it too?

Or am I hearing things... :shock:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:55 am 
Site Admin

Good point about the ceremonial temple dance thing, and the link to Debussy's Danseuses. I've heard even slower Satie than this. Ducth pianist/conductor Reinbert de Leeuw was one who led the Satie revival some decades ago and he played it excruciatingly slow. Not my cup of tea but perhaps I'm just too impatient for this music to hold my attention at all.

Never noticed the Edirol has a hiss cut filter. I still don't see where any hiss can come from, no tape being involved. If it's draft, it must be pretty windy where you're sitting ;-)

So what Satie next ? I remember hearing the Sports et Divertissements which I found quite funny.