Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach - Die Kunst der Fuge - completion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Today I recorded the 2-clavier mirror fugues from the KDF with my teacher Evelina Vorontsova. Some minor slips and occasional untidy moments (both my fault) but otherwise not too bad I think. Recorded live at the annual pupils concert at the Pianola Museum Amsterdam. I hope this is a worthy conclusion to my KDF cycle on the site. Any comments welcome.

Moved these to the Bach page on http://server3.pianosociety.com/new/php ... hp?p=11#11

Last edited by techneut on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:56 am 

Chris, the first thing is, that you recorded the complete set of KDF is a very very strong achievement. This even more from the background - the short time you needed, and the other pieces you recorded in the same time. Hut off for that!

And that 2-clavier live recording is indeed a dignifiedly termination of that project.

It is surely very difficult to keep both pianos together. There are here and there spots were it clatters, but no big issue.

Congratulations!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:44 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
It is surely very difficult to keep both pianos together. There are here and there spots were it clatters, but no big issue.

Thanks for the comments. The clattering is all mine :)
We had only played these pieces together for 4 or 5 times which I feel is not really sufficient, not even with such a rock solid partner as Evelina (it is amusing and humbling to note the huge difference in touch and phrasing between her and me). Perhaps I get a chance to re-record them one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Congratulations from me too. I know how long you have been working to complete the KDF and I think the first in KDF was among the first you brought up on the site. Almost a year ago wasn't it?

I have no played four hands since I was 16 but I remember how hard it was to keep the tempo correct for both player. Perhaps a bit easier with Bach than for instance Rachmaninov but still very hard and you get easy uncertain when there are short breaks as in a couple of places in your recordings. Good timing and it seems like you have played a lot together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:43 am 
Site Admin

It is quite a bit more tricky if you can't see each other. The cramped setup in the pianola museum is so that there is a large support pillar right between the two grands, exactly obscuring the other player. It was lucky that both these fugues start with one piano at the time. There are two places where both pianos attack together after a half bar of rest and I was pleased we got that just right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

Moved these to the Bach page on http://server3.pianosociety.com/new/php ... hp?p=11#11