Ravel, Piano Trio in A minor

Upload new recordings for evaluation and discussions. Acoustic instruments preferred, although digital is allowed. MIDI or other digitally rendered/manipulated recordings will not be admitted.

Moderators: pianolady, techneut, robert

Ravel, Piano Trio in A minor

Postby Anonymous » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 am

Ravel, Piano Trio in A minor, Setrak Setrakian Chamber Group, Live Concert 1987

1. Modéré

2. Pantoum (Assez vif)

3. Passacaille (Très large)

4. Finale Appassionato
The file is in this link, download it please

Best wishes

Site Admin

Postby robert » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:05 am

A wonderful recording (some strange noise at 6:40 but otherwise good) which I recommend you to listen to. Especially if you enjoy Ravel. The recordig is up on the site and I added a little text of this composition.

Maurice Ravel's Piano Trio in A minor is a chamber work for piano, violin and cello. It was written in 1914, in the French Basque province of Saint-Jean-de-Luz. On the 26th of September, Ravel wrote to Lucien Garban, "...in five weeks I have done five months' work. I wanted to finish my trio before joining up...". He was accepted as a nurse's aide by the Army in October. (In March of 1915 he became a volunteer truck driver for the 13th Artillery Regiment.)

Ravel dedicated the Trio to his counterpoint teacher Andre Gedalge. The trio was first performed in Paris in January, 1915, by Alfredo Casella (piano), Gabriel Willaume (violin), and Louis Feuillard (cello).

The piece lasts about thirty minutes, and is influenced by themes both Basque and Oriental. There are four movements:

- Modéré
- Pantoum (Assez vif)
- Passacaille (Très large)
- Final (Animé)

The second movement, Pantoum, refers to a Malaysian poetry form that repeats motifs, relying on context to give them different meanings: this can be heard in the structure of the movement.

Postby Anonymous » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:51 pm

Yes there is strange noise at 6:40 , it's recording accident, because it was Live recording, sound engineer didn't fix it.

Thank you for adding the piece on the site.

Postby chopinman0901 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:13 pm

Wow! That was beautifully played!! Except for the aforementioned noise at 6:40 I enjoyed every second of it, and you should feel really good about acomplishing this performance. You just made this my favorite piano trio (even more than Tchaikovsky's)!! Thank you so much.

Postby Anonymous » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:32 am

Thank you Chopinman0901 for your compliment,
On the stage during live performing error can be happen by performer, or sound recorder and by audience, this error 6.40 as I remember was electrical power error, it's not small piece to record again, so I left it as it is.

Ravel: Trio

Postby Juliapiano » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:45 am

Great recording! I enjoyed it a lot. Congratulations. :D

Postby Anonymous » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:39 pm

Thank you Julia for your nice words, good luck to you.

Return to “Audition Room”