well... I'm blushing!!!!!! :oops:
TOO kind of you!!!!
but many many many heartily thanks...
warm hugs to everybody!!!

Post subject: Re: Thanks!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:15 am 
Site Admin

kjarschka wrote:
I struggled a lot with op. 10 n. 2 as well - in my opinion it's the hardest of Chopin's Etudes.

I did struggle a lot with this etude several years ago. Took about a year of daily practise until I could play it decent and there are very few "short-cuts" you can make. Perhaps skipping the RH chords here and there and only play the melody but the chords are there to force the hand to choose the correct fingering. And what is the use of cheat in an etude? Like cheat in solitaire...

You play it very good and I feel comforted when I read that a highly skilled pianist as you struggled with this etude too ;).

Post subject: cheating... and Schubert
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:00 am 

Hi!
Well, if this can make you happy, I spoke once with a first-prize winner of Busoni competition (I will not say his/her name, of course!). And he/she said that he/she didn't play in concert the whole op. 10 because he/she was afraid of n. 2.
So you are in a very good company (this prizewinner is characterized, moreover, by his/her very brilliant and virtuoso technique).
I do agree with you about cheating... Even if these studies were conceived for keyboards that are completely different from ours.
Maybe when you play op. 10 as a concert piece, then a small amount of cheating can be allowed...
:)
but I swear that I play all of Chopin's notes and... as he wrote them!!!!!!! :)
(even if sometimes... I add some notes when I don't play cleanly!!!)!

A little gift for the forum: my recording of the second movement of Schubert's A maj. Sonata (D959). It's my absolutely favourite piece... the one I would bring with me on a desert island.
Hope you'll enjoy it!!!!

Schubert - D.959, Piano Sonata in A major, II. Andantino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:06 am 

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!! You are both a virtuoso and a very poetic pianist. D959 is such a great piece (the last movement always gives me a good mood!!)... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:34 am 
Site Admin

Wonderful!!! The lyric and poetic is really so beautiful and this is a recording to really adore. But I almost missed it as it was hooked into a topic which already consisted of the Chopin etude recordings. People usually create a new topic whenever they have a new recording they want up on the site.

Poor Schubert, died in age of 32 only. Really a romantic spirit who lived along with the friends he loved. Never got his real love and had to make a revolution against his father to be able to create the wonderful music to be loved almost 200 years later.

Many of the works of Schubert bores me as they are often long and nothing "really happens". I require tension, dynamic changes, haunting melodies etc. but this is an exception from Schubert which I really enjoy.

Post subject: thank you Robert and Tobias
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:12 am 

Hi dear friends,
thanks a lot for your nice words!!! Yes, Robert, you're right: next time I'll post my recordings in a new topic.
Yes, Schubert is really a genius... he's the composer I play most gladly!!
His music is not "narrative", like Beethoven's (B's music starts from point A and gets straight to point B, with fights and sorrows, but straight!); Schubert admires the beauty of creation, "loses" his time admiring a flower, a bird, a mountain...
And this second movement is so full of spirituality, of grief, of despair... it expresses the greatest feelings of mankind, in my opinion.
By the way, do you know Bresson's wonderful film "Au hasard, Balthazar"? It is based on this 2nd movement and it grasps perfectly its significance.
All the best to both of you!
Chiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:08 am 

Your Chopin etude interpretations are jaw-dropping!

I am very glad to be able to listen here to your world-class piano playing. It's not only sheer virtuosos playing, it is combined with deep felt lyrical expression, as your Schubert take clearly shows.

Thank you for sharing this!!!