Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Liszt, Mephisto Waltz No.1 for piano, S. 514 (arr. Busoni)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:34 am 
Liszt, Mephisto Waltz No.1 for piano, S. 514 (arr. Busoni)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:03 am 
Site Admin

A typical Busoni concoction this... He just could not leave well enough alone. I much prefer his original compositions.

I am surprised this one is difficult enough for you. Perhaps you should re-transcribe this transcription yourself, put in some more notes and chords, and spice it up a bit.

Another live recording, or so the mp3 tags suggest. When and where was this performed ? You must have done a great number of live concerts and it seems they were all taped and post-processed with the most professional equipment, as they all are of studio quality and there is never any sign of an audience. Was any ever captured on video ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:48 am 
Yes I have so so many Live performing during 1997 to 1999, fpr 12 years I was Director of Ganatchian music college, and every year I was giving Master class concerts to students and there family's,

About recordings and mp3 quality ,I don't talk with sound engineer how to record, he know his work very well,

Here in this link you can see some Busoni programmes including Mephisto Waltz (Liszt-Busoni)
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/fe ... irersclub/

And I am posting same piece Score as PDF file.

Good luck to all.

Sheet Music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:49 am 
Sorry, Correction from 1987 to 1999

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:16 am 
Site Admin

The sound quality is indeed extremely good for being live and the sound technician recording your performances really know what they are doing. If I wear headphones, I can hear a couple of tiny sound just in the beginning.

But if the sound technicians are good, it is nothing compared to you playing this difficult and famous Liszt waltz. Your capabilities to make use of the dynamics is among the best I have ever heard as well as handling the technically difficult passages of the most demanding of piano works.

I also added some text to the site regarding the Mephisto Waltzes as below:
The Mephisto Waltzes are four virtuoso piano solos composed by Franz Liszt. Of the four, the first is the most popular and has been frequently performed in concert and recorded. It was composed in 1856-1861, and Liszt made an orchestral version (as No.2 in the Zwei Episoden aus Lenaus Faust) immediately after the completion of the original piano solo. Liszt dedicated the piece to Carl Tausig, his favourite pupil (who died prematurely at the age of 29 in 1870). It is popularly called "the Mephisto Waltz," as if there were only one.

The Second Mephisto Waltz followed the first by some 20 years. Its composition took place between 1878 and 1881. Liszt again orchestrated the piece right after the completion of the piano solo. The piece is dedicated to Camille Saint-Saƫns..

The Third Mephisto Waltz takes the harmonic language even further. Composed in 1883, it features chords built up by fourths and there are numerous ominous passages with succession of descending minor triads whose roots are a semi-tone apart. Liszt made no orchestral version of the Third Waltz.

The Fourth Mephisto Waltz remained unfinished. Liszt worked on the piece in 1885. There is a version with the completed fast outer sections (without the incomplete slow middle section) that has been performed and recorded in recent years. Leslie Howard the acclaimed Australian pianist, who recorded all of Liszt's solo piano pieces (over 95 CDs) made a recording of the whole Waltz including the incomplete middle section that he assembled from Liszt's manuscript sources and completed in line with the composer's late style adding a minimum number of his own notes. It is available on Hyperion's "complete piano music of Liszt"-series. Pretty obvious, no orchestral version of this Waltz was completed by Liszt.

The recording is up on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:37 am 
Thank you Robert for adding Mephisto Waltz with some useful informations, I know your musical knowledge is very high, keep going in your way and good luck,

I like to know did I post too much music to Piano Society?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Setrak wrote:
I like to know did I post too much music to Piano Society?

No no, one important purpose is of course to present as much music as possible for our visitors and build the largest audio (perhaps later video) archive on Internet. So how can submitting a lot recordings be wrong then? :D You have added some extremly high quality recordings so far, in my opinion the best on the site, so just keep on what you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:20 pm 
Thank you so much Robert for your nice words, tomorrow I will post new Piano Trio from my old Live recordings.