Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Beethoven: Op.10, No.3
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:19 pm 

Here is the Beethoven Sonata in D Major, Op.10, No.3

It's the best I can do at this time. Forgive the rough parts.

Presto
Largo e mesto
Menuetto, Trio
Rondo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:15 am 

I enjoyed your performance. Was this recorded on a keyboard? There were a few instances of "clipping" or "peaking out" on the microphones. But nothing which I could not bear to hear. I feel that your Largo section is semi-poetic. There are moments of heart-felt emotions but it is just not "there" for me. That's clearly subjective, but you had me "almost shedding a tear", I look for recordings to make me cry a river :wink: .

I can't pick out any reading errors or slips...there are some of use who will 8) :lol:

Post subject: Beethoven
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:23 am 

Thanks, juufa, for taking the time to listen to this post as many people would find it quite tedious, I'm sure. The piano is a Yamaha C1. I don't know why it would sounds like a keyboard. I'm still experimenting with Audacity but don't really know what I'm doing. I have no idea why there is some clipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Hi John, Wow, you're playing some very 'meaty' stuff here, lately.
I think you did a great job on all of these. Your fingers were moving well on the Presto and your dynamics were good. The Largo was played with a nice sensual feeling throughout. Your piano sounded good to me, but Juufa is right about the clipping, although to me it was only most noticeable on the Presto. The third and fourth pieces (and Largo) I didn't hear any but your piano (really only the very upper keys) slipped out a tune a bit. Mine is doing that now, too, even though I just had it tuned a few weeks ago.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:33 am 

Nice work on this tricky piece! Effective use of dynamics. The tempo is a bit unstable.

About the clipping, I think I know how to avoid that; what recorder did you use?

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:01 am 
Hi John,
I can't find your posed Beethoven Sonata in D Major, Op.10, No.3 on my browser to listen it.

Post subject: Beethoven
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:39 pm 

Thanks for listening. My piano was tuned about two weeks ago, but I can already hear some problems. It is so humid here that it's almost impossible to keep a piano in tune. I usually keep the doors closed and the AC running to dry the air.

Juufa, I use a little pre-amp and one Shure directional microphone to record. I try to keep the input level of the pre-amp at a reasonable leve. A oouple of times I turned it too low and received complaints that my posts were too soft. I guess I have to readjust the input level for each post. Is that logical?

Post subject: Re: Beethoven
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:37 pm 

[quote="John Robson"]Thanks for listening. My piano was tuned about two weeks ago, but I can already hear some problems. It is so humid here that it's almost impossible to keep a piano in tune. I usually keep the doors closed and the AC running to dry the air.

John mate, good work. it shows that a person with strong mental agility over rules every thing.

I enjoyed your playing. By the way, I wish I could fix up the tunnings for you. By the way, I found that constant tempearture change or weather change in piano room will cause piano out tune easier. The best I suggest is

1) live air con on all the time, kept around 20C, this includes the tunning.

2) get a heat tube that installed inside the piano , just under the key board. I dnt ude it these days, because I constantly monitoring my own piano. Inyour case, it would be a good tip.

Have a nice day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Generally a good and idiomatic Beethoven performance. It is evident that you have studied and practised this Sonata very seriously, and you are definitely on the right track. Interpretation-wise nothing much to bitch about, except you sometimes bite off a closing chord or note too abruptly. To an extent, that is Beethoven for you, but don't overdo it. I still can't warm too much to the Largo, but that is not your fault. The Minuetto comes off best, except the middle section which is a bit tentative.

Yeah that damned clipping rather distracts - and some rather sour notes. But listening past that, very enjoyable. You are generally best in the sonorous passages, which you play with great tone and dynamics. Where you fall short s bit is on the more athletic passages where ole Ludwig suddenly goes on one of his merry romps. Things get a bit stiff and awkward then, both in technique and tempo. But that is just a matter of time. The LH double-note passages are a bit fumbly. But the double octaves you do really well. - I know these are much harder that they sound.

So maybe this is the best you can do right now, and perhaps it is not good to want to push it further straight away. But if you get back to this in a couple of months (or even weeks) I guarantee you the difference will be amazing (and hopefully the sound quality will be better). Practise lots of Bach in the meantime :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:47 pm 

techneut wrote:
Practise lots of Bach in the meantime :D

I agree.

<---Starting first Bach piece P&F BWV 867 in B-minor :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Musically, this is a very enjoyable and wise interpretated and I like your way of playing Beethoven. The dynamics, the fury that sometimes comes through, the love, the despair and dedication to the instrument is all there and that is why I put this up despite the clips in the sound and the sometimes not so good sounding piano. That is all overshadowed by the music you produce and is what I hear when I listen to your music-making. Very good John!

Post subject: Re: Beethoven: Op.10, No.3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:49 pm 
[quote="John Robson"]Here is the Beethoven Sonata in D Major, Op.10, No.3

I've heard only the Largo. I find it is played in a very direct and sincere way.
Artistic values which I appreciate in your recording.
I prefer this (your) kind of pianism, that "explain" the music and tend to help the
listener. The technique seems to me adequate to the target, and the sound is good,
with a large and enjoyable (for my taste) dynamic behaviour.
If you, Pianolady and everybody will not have problems with tuning, the
solution is a good digital, as mine :) 8)

All best,
Sandro.