Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Khachaturian - Setrakian Sabre Dance
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:44 pm 
Aram Khachaturian Sabre Danse from Ballet Gayane , Arranged for Piano and played by Setrak Setrakian

Khachaturian Sabre Danse

Post subject: Sabre Dance
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:14 pm 

WOW! What fun! I bet you are asked to play this often as an encore. It is perfect for that.

I enjoy listening to your playing. Keep it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:51 am 
Thank you John, I am doing my best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:15 am 
Site Admin

Wow. That sounded not humanly possible. Either you have hands, fingers, and wrists like a machine, or you have three hands.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:34 am 
You are very wrong in your critic Pianolady, open well your ears and listen correct, it's not machine that is playing, and it's not 3 hands, It is four hands playing with my daughter, Sabre Dance never can be RUBATO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Setrak, this was not a matter of critique, be it right or wrong. I also thought this was impossible to play with two hands, and as you did not mention a second pianist (until now) I was having doubts about this recording. Now it's explained of course, but it would be better to provide such 'details' to start with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

I had the chance to listen to this as a demo recording before you others and it is really incredible. By the fragment you gave me on email Setrak, I did not actually realize that it was this famous Sabre Dance and that is really embarrasing for me :oops:.

Incredible playing and very entertaining!!! Your daughter must be a extremely good pianist as well!

The recording is up on the site.

Last edited by robert on Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

robert wrote:
I had the chance to listen to this as a demo recording before you others and it is really incredible. By the fragment you gave me on email Setrak, I did not actually realize that it was this famous Sabre Dance and that is really embarrasing for me :oops:.!

No it's not, that fragment was not recognizable as being the Sabre Dance at all. I think that was something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:27 pm 

Great fun to listen to! It feels silly to complain about the recording quality, but to my ears, there are a couple sections that must be overly compressed, because they have an electronic kind of sound. I'm hearing this on the downward run from 1:42 to 1:44, and again on the downward run from 2:37 to 2:43. I can imagine the latter makes a positively amazing effect in person and I wish it were well reproduced here, but in this recording it reminds me of how a synthesizer reacts when you reach its polyphony limit. Very strange audio texture.

Setrak, if the original (without MP3 compression) sounds much better to you than this MP3, could you give us another version of this recording at a higher MP3 bit rate? I personally would love to hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:38 am 
Hi Amitai,

I am sorry I don't have other version of this piece as mp3, all I know that I record it in a new opened studio in Beirut with new recording studio equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:35 am 
Site Admin

techneut wrote:
robert wrote:
I had the chance to listen to this as a demo recording before you others and it is really incredible. By the fragment you gave me on email Setrak, I did not actually realize that it was this famous Sabre Dance and that is really embarrasing for me :oops:.!

No it's not, that fragment was not recognizable as being the Sabre Dance at all. I think that was something else.

Nope, it is the very same but the not so famous middle part from it.

Amatai, I am pretty sure it is the mp3 encoding that takes down the quality a bit.