Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:43 pm 
[quote="techneut"]

Generally though, it seems rather ideosyncratic to me, in that you take great liberties with tempo, pedalling, phrasing, etc...

:) It's only "my way", as Frank Sinatra sings.
But 1) tempo. The first movement is a research of a cohesion, and it's non-linear, irregular
on the score. Continous and large changes of time on the score, the insertion of 2 recitativo, the raphsodic and so strange beginning of ricapitulation (where is the first theme in the ricapitulation, after the recitativos?) invite and (IMHO) force to an extreme variety of tempo.
Here I try to find the identity in the opposite trends (and tempo) of themes. And those misterious
recitativos.... Ah, and I love too much to dissolve the development in that strange ricapitulation,
without formal, abstract rigidity.
2) where Beethoven by his hand write the pedal notation : 4,6 bars of continous pedal on.
When (in rare, exemplary cases) Beethoven write the pedal notation he has a heavy hand....
3) The phrasing.... For me is natural. I don't like the quantizing-phrasing of many pianists;
I am not afraid of the irregolarity and asymmetry. It's a question of measure, but this doesn't mean
nothing: for one is less, for another is too much....

> And I have great respect for your immensely assured and polished performances even when I do not agree with all details.

Thank you for this (and for the not positive considerations too), but You are very kind.

> and some LH passages that sounded jazzy

If Chopin is Bill Evans, Beethoven is Thelonious Monk. Scarlatti was Bud Powell. :wink:
Near the end of exposition there is a descending melody (4 bichords in scale): RH and
after LH in time, and immediately after the same scales in syncopated rythm.
If one (and I always try to do so) will to display the melody ......
But it's not only here, I suppose.

> and un-Beethoven-ish. Apart from that, real good again.

A myth of Beethoven for everyone. I don't think my myth is more true than
others, only is the only myth I can try to respect, when I play.

> You had better send me your bio

O.K., and again thank you.
:evil: Today I've re-recorded the Mazurka op.24-4. With that damned Db at its place.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

These are all up !
Now all I need is your bio and photo. If you want to replace the Op.24 No.4, just email it to me directly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:35 am 
Site Admin

Very well done and that goes for all of the recordings!

The Beethoven Sonata is played seriously as Beethoven's music in most cases is. But nevertheless, you play with fire and passion in some spots where it is needed. A difficult balance but you handle it very well and it is especially obvious in the famous last movement.

You play Chopin very well too and as already remarked, you take quite some liberty in use of dynamics, phrasing and rubato. Not in a bad way and nothing unusual or strange but rather more of everything.

Overall, I got a very convincing first impression of you as a pianist and it will be interesting to listen to future recordings of yours.