Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: RE: chopin nocturne 72 - 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:01 am 

I might be posting this a bit too soon but some early feed back would be appreciated. I had finished playing this for my teacher over a week ago. This is only my second try so please be kind :)

Post subject: Chopin Prelude
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:55 pm 

Good job! I liked the dynamics in the right hand. It was very cleanly played. I would like to hear more dreaminess or "noctournishness" if possible. Even though you expressed the dynamics well in the right hand, I would like to hear a more steady, subdued left hand accompaniment. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:19 pm 

Your hands know exactly where they're going and now it's only a question of interpretation. Think about the length of the melodic lines in the RH and how to make them easy for the ear to follow; also think about how the sound decays on the longer-held notes and how to make sure the melody still stands front and center. I like John's advice: try making the LH rhythmically fairly regular and not too loud, and see how that sounds to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Hello. I also think the left hand needs to be more evenly played. It seems you hold the first note of the first triplet and then the first note of the third triplet slightly long. Dynamics were ok except at bar 23 where it should drop down to pianissimo, and then back up to forte at bar 27. On the third bar from the end, I have a C-natural, I think you played c-sharp and on the last chord I show the LH E is tied and you only play three notes down. These could be differences in scores, though. Nice overall sound.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:57 am 

Thank you all for the feed back.

I was holding the first note of the triplet in the left hand in hopes of making it sound more like 2 or 3 instruments in the left hand. I was also hopping for more of a bach style counterpoint sound vs a melody and accompaniment sound. I guess my final result might sound a bit strange :) Is it safe to say that with this chopin piece the left hand really has to be an accompaniment and only take over in very isolated spots? I was just listening to it again and it didn't seem to bother me although I might be use to the sound at this point. I actually enjoyed listening to the fact that the left hand 2 types of voices going on most of the time? Did I perhaps go over board?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Well-played, if IMO a bit rhythmically erratic. A more steady pulse and a more gently rocking LH would help, and then to build a subtle rubato on top of that. I think you are right that LH is just an accomaniment here and not quite an equal partner as it often is in Bach. I agree with John that is should be a bit more dreamy and romantic, as befits a Nocturne. But you are definitely on the right way.