Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Which 1 composer's music would you chose to live with?
Handel 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
J.S. Bach 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
Haydn 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mozart 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Beethoven 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Schubert 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chopin 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
Liszt 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Mendelssohn 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Brahms 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: You can only have one to live with!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:06 am 

Simple question. You are going to be exiled to an island to live alone forever, but there is a piano. You may take the piano scores of only one (1) composer to live the rest of your life with. Who would you take? See the poll.

Post subject: Re: You can only have one to live with!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:41 pm 

Good grief, that's a hard one. I chose Chopin because I'd have plenty of Romantic piano music to play. I'd have even more with Bach, but with that great master I can only play so much before my brain tires. ;)

Though everything else may appear shallow and repulsive, even the smallest task in music is so absorbing, and carries us so far away from town, country, earth, and all worldly things, that it is truly a blessed gift of God.

Felix Mendelssohn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Chopin for me too! Although I considered choosing Bach because I know if I was stuck being able to play ONLY his music, then I'd go crazy and maybe so desperate to get off the island that I'd build myself a raft (like Tom Hanks did in that movie) and go home.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:00 pm 

Having started the poll, I will now add my reason for voting Bach. Like others I'm sure, I find in him the greatest wedding of both the soul and the mind. I fell in love with "classical" music in 7th grade when I was required to listen to movements of his great B Minor Mass. Amazing! Of course many will know that his 2 volumes of the WTC are commonly called the "Old Testament" of pianism, with Beethoven's Sonatas the "New Testament." No one would dispute the intellectual rigors of his fugues, but his lyricism and emotion are also stupendous in for example the Preludes in E-flat minor and B-Flat minor from book 1. What is really fascinating, is that since the Baroque was followed by the Classical, it represents the more Dionysian of the two. Therefore, so far, folks are picking the more "romantic" impulses. The style eras seem to swing from one end to the other (Apollo [form, clarity, balance] to Dionysius [emotion,excess, liberty]), for the Trekies out there, the difference between Spock and Bones: view the 2nd Vienese school following the stretched-to-the-limit Post-Romantics!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:38 am 

Liszt, no doubt about it. Not only did he write my favourite transcription (that being my particular area of interest), his works manage to cover everything from sprituality to bombastic vulgarity; such an interestingly split compositional personality.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:04 am 

Chopin... I think! This is actually very hard form me as I like a lot of Bethoven and Liszt as well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Bach of course. Though I could be quite happy with Kapustin too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm 

Good old Bach! So good for technique and so much of his is indeed lovely, but I must say his Well-Tempered Clavier is to me more a duty than a pleasure. I have taken a step backwards technically and prefer his toccatas and his inventions. Handel has a lot but so much of his is unknown. Mozart has some good moments and so has Schubert, but off-days with them are not unknown.

May I choose not to go to the lonely island? :roll:

Oscar Wilde: Impressions of America: Leadville

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:03 am 

Franz Liszt is the only choice. His life was full and varied. He offered so much and would not be a bore on that island... forever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:21 pm 

it is such an obvious question!

Brahms, of course! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:08 am 

I'd have to go with Liszt--the Concert Etudes, the Transcendental Etudes, Annees d Pelerinage, late works, etc. Doesn't get much better than that!

David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:45 am 

Interesting. As of yet, nobody has chosen Beethoven! There are moments in Bach which bring tears to my eyes, but not in his keyboard music. Though some of his organ music is off the charts, we only have a piano. Two very creative composers not mentioned from this period that have brought me endless hours of fun at the keyboard are Scarlatti and C.P.E Bach, and both of them wrote a lot of music. (I am rather stunned, but I don't think I have even heard any keyboard music by Handel!) Schubert, but not Schumann? Chopin and Liszt but not Rachmaninoff? Mendelssohn? Really? I would be very tempted to take the music of Debussy, with whom I feel great empathy. I could also easily live alone with Chopin, but the island would be too small for me and Liszt! (I would have to leave.) Of those listed, I probably WOULD choose Beethoven, but would be very tempted to choose Brahms, whose music I adore. In reality, I would more likely just improvise so that I could creatively make the adjustment as the piano, with the heat and humidity, gradually turned into a one-man gamalan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:15 pm 

Tough, tough choice. Very tough. I don't think I could make myself choose between Bach and Chopin.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:16 am 

glenn wrote:
Interesting. As of yet, nobody has chosen Beethoven! There are moments in Bach which bring tears to my eyes, but not in his keyboard music. Though some of his organ music is off the charts, we only have a piano. Two very creative composers not mentioned from this period that have brought me endless hours of fun at the keyboard are Scarlatti and C.P.E Bach, and both of them wrote a lot of music. (I am rather stunned, but I don't think I have even heard any keyboard music by Handel!) Schubert, but not Schumann? Chopin and Liszt but not Rachmaninoff? Mendelssohn? Really? I would be very tempted to take the music of Debussy, with whom I feel great empathy. I could also easily live alone with Chopin, but the island would be too small for me and Liszt! (I would have to leave.) Of those listed, I probably WOULD choose Beethoven, but would be very tempted to choose Brahms, whose music I adore. In reality, I would more likely just improvise so that I could creatively make the adjustment as the piano, with the heat and humidity, gradually turned into a one-man gamalan.

Yes, yes, yes, but a poll is limited to 10 items :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:09 am 

musical-md wrote:
Yes, yes, yes, but a poll is limited to 10 items :(

Sorry, Eddy, I didn't realize that. The question is pretty good without the poll, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:24 am 

Bach. I've certainly been living on only his scores for 6 months, more or less.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:27 am 

None!

If I were castaway on an island with a piano, I'd finally have the time to compose music - I'd be awed with inspiration from the sea around me, the poetic sunsets, and the heavenly night skies above. Not a bad idea for the dawn of an early retirement! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:36 pm 

Bach, absolutely. I am actually thinking about playing only Bach even now :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Biggemski wrote:
Bach, absolutely. I am actually thinking about playing only Bach even now :)

Oh, don't do that. There is so much else to enjoy, and variety is the spice of life.
But do let Bach be your daily friend and mentor, like many famous musicians and composers from present and past.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 pm 

In the end I had to go with Beethoven. I love Bach, but, as someone above indicated, after a while my brain would hurt. Also I would want something written more specifically for the piano.

Also with Beethoven I get a great marriage between the classical and romantic spirits. Beethoven's formal structures are in the classical mold. He follows the classical ideals of balance and restraint (there are no notes or harmonies that do not belong in his structures). On the other hand he took those ideals to the limit infusing that classical mold with romantic expression.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:28 pm 

:shock: Dvorak not even on the list :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:22 pm 

allanmac wrote:
:shock: Dvorak not even on the list :cry:

The survey will only hold ten (10) items. Sorry. Plus, he's thought of more as a symphonist than an exponent of piano literature.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:48 pm 

Quote:
Plus, he's thought of more as a symphonist than an exponent of piano literature.

Yeah his solo piano works were complete junk, but the piano parts in his later chamber works are some of the most beautiful I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:03 am 
Site Admin

allanmac wrote:
Yeah his solo piano works were complete junk,

That is as crude and stupid a statement as I have ever heard. I've played a good deal of his piano output and, while it may not be in the Brahms or Chopin class, and it does not always lie well under the fingers, there is a wealth of beauty there. And if anybody says that Dvorak had no affinity with the piano I dare them to listen to the piano concerto and the 4-hand slavonic dances.