Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Prokofiev Sonata 3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:25 pm 

I am studying this piece to play for my college auditions coming up soon and it's coming along nicely, but there is one part I am really having trouble with.

Toward the end there is a part where you're playing triplets in your right hand and dotted eighth sixteenths with your left at a very rapid speed. I cannot seem to get this rhythm played right at anywhere close to performance speed. I've practiced it incessantly, but my left hand is having a bear of a timme trying to grab the 16ths at the right time. (for the part I am speaking of, it is on the 14th page of this edition beginning in the sixth measure: http://216.129.110.22/files/imglnks/usimg/7/70/IMSLP00171-Prokofiev_-_Sonate_no_3_op_28.pdf)

Has anyone had any experience with this piece and trouble with that same spot? Can you give me any pointers on how to get this down?

And farther than that, if you've studied this piece before and have any advice on the interpretation of it, that would really nice.

Thanks!
- Jay Hoerr

Post subject: Re: Prokofiev Sonata 3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

I would not worry about this too much and just play these 16ths together with the last notes of the triplets. I don't think there is any added value in trying to play them exactly as written (and I wonder if it was meant that way). Actually, instances of this rhythm are plentiful throughout the sonata, starting as early as bar 16. Did you not have a problem with these ?

Post subject: Re: Prokofiev Sonata 3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:59 pm 

techneut wrote:
I would not worry about this too much and just play these 16ths together with the last notes of the triplets. I don't think there is any added value in trying to play them exactly as written (and I wonder if it was meant that way). Actually, instances of this rhythm are plentiful throughout the sonata, starting as early as bar 16. Did you not have a problem with these ?

Okay, I just wasn't sure if it would be a correct interpretation just playing the left hand as triplets there. It would be so much easier that way though haha :).

And for some reason it's a lot easier to do the dotted eighth sixteenths in my right hand rather than the left. I guess that would have to do with being right handed haha.