Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Bach-Busoni - Piano Concerto in D minor, BWV 1052
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 am 

Dear friends at Piano Society,

I'm sorry I haven't posted here for so long. I've been busy at college, and my last recital (about a year ago) accidentally didn't get recorded because I screwed up one of the settings in the recorder.

Anyway, my senior recital at Bard is coming up soon, on November 21 (the Saturday before Thanksgiving). Titled "Bach Busonified", my program will consist of Busoni's version of Bach's D-minor Concerto, BWV 1052 and Goldberg Variations, BWV 988.

Those of you who are familiar with Busoni's version of these works will know that he instituted several cuts in the concerto, particularly in the third movement, and suggested the omission of several of the Goldberg Variations. My plan is to restore these cuts, to preserve the original structure of these works yet in a manner that takes advantage of the full range of the modern piano. In the case of the concerto, in which Busoni left out the cut measures entirely, this means "busonifying" these sections myself. (His edition of the Goldberg Variations, on the other hand, includes every variation, even the ones he suggested omitting -- most of which happen to be the canons -- though it is obvious from the extent of his revisions that he didn't pay as much attention to them as to the ones he favored.)

I have attached my "busonification" of those cut sections of the concerto for anyone who's interested. Comments would be appreciated. (The attachment contains only the edited and added pages -- let me know if you'd like me to post Busoni's version of the concerto in its entirety. I've been meaning to post it to IMSLP but never got around to it -- I did post my scan of the Busoni Goldberg, though, which is of better quality than the one that had previously been floating around.)

Best regards,
Ming.