Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Do you have any recording device, yet? It's a great motivational tool, so to speak. Ever since I started recording myself, not only do I practice much more, but I also listen much better, too.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:12 am 

No, unfortunately, I don't...and I am even more strapped for cash now than I was before, due to going back to school. :( I have a friend that is willing to record me, but I have to find a church or something where I could do it, because my own piano is digital and my mom's baby grand is in not so good shape since Katrina. :( I could ask my friend to go up to my school (1.5 hours away) and he probably would, but I feel bad about asking him to do such things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:35 pm 

Right now, I'm trying to record two Chopin etudes.

They're close.

Here's one. (not ready for the site)

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:31 am 

The 10/9 is one of my favorites. :) Unfortunately, I have more difficulty with that one than a lot of them that would probably generally be considered more difficult. In other words, I have more difficulty with that one than 10/3, 10/4, 10/12, 25/1, 25/11, and 25/12. Is it just me?

Anyway, it sounds like it's coming along good, Pete. Which other one are you working on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:17 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I forgot about this one, but I love it too. The sound, the way it takes you on a dreamy, swirling adventure - well - it's soooo good. Think I'll put this one on my list. Thanks Pete!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:24 pm 

Terez wrote:
The 10/9 is one of my favorites. :) Unfortunately, I have more difficulty with that one than a lot of them that would probably generally be considered more difficult. In other words, I have more difficulty with that one than 10/3, 10/4, 10/12, 25/1, 25/11, and 25/12. Is it just me?

Anyway, it sounds like it's coming along good, Pete. Which other one are you working on?

Yes, the LH is a pain in the you-know-what. I have the notes memorized, I just need to practice playing it. It's quite different to have something learned 'in theory' versus putting that theoretical knowledge into physical action.

The other is the 10/2, the "chromatic madness" etude. That one makes the 10/1 look like opus 28/4.
It's 'memorized' (in theory). I haven't got the fingers to play it right now; practice will fix that post haste.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:37 pm 

Terez wrote:

Yes, the LH is a pain in the you-know-what. I have the notes memorized, I just need to practice playing it. It's quite different to have something learned 'in theory' versus putting that theoretical knowledge into physical action.

The other is the 10/2, the "chromatic madness" etude. That one makes the 10/1 look like opus 28/4.
It's 'memorized' (in theory). I haven't got the fingers to play it right now; practice will fix that post haste. It's pretty close, too.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:01 pm 

Aww, I was enjoying listening to your 10/2, and it cut off! :(

The 10/2 is one of my favorites, too, and I find it easier than the 10/1. Perhaps that is because I have worked on the 25/6, but I also found the 25/6 to be easier than the 10/1.

In my opinion, though, the hardest etude is the 25/4. The jumping in the left hand makes the 10/9 left-hand jumping look mild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:19 pm 

Terez wrote:
Aww, I was enjoying listening to your 10/2, and it cut off! :(

The 10/2 is one of my favorites, too, and I find it easier than the 10/1. Perhaps that is because I have worked on the 25/6, but I also found the 25/6 to be easier than the 10/1.

In my opinion, though, the hardest etude is the 25/4. The jumping in the left hand makes the 10/9 left-hand jumping look mild.

Yeah, I cut it off because that's where I screw up! :lol: Bars 25-34 are insecure at this point. This etude is really giving me problems. I can play it slowly and not miss a single note but I want to play it at 144. I may split the difference and aim for 126+-

You know, it goes to show how different pianists encounter differing problems, depending on individual quirks. I find the jumps in the 25-4 not particularly hard to execute, but the 543 oriented fingering of the 10-2 extremely difficult.

A note about the 10-9: I play the LH legato, with the fingering pattern 5-3-1-4-1-3. I can't do the pattern 5-4-1-4-1-4.

Okay, here's something else I'm working on. This is the first time I've recorded myself playing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it certainly is Beethoven Week!
Pete, I have never heard this before, but it sounded really good. Like ready-for-the-audition-room, good. I forgot - do you record with an Edirol recorder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:09 pm 

Quote:
A note about the 10-9: I play the LH legato, with the fingering pattern 5-3-1-4-1-3. I can't do the pattern 5-4-1-4-1-4.

My piano teacher in high school had really small hands, and she played it 5-5-1-5-1-1, which might explain why I compared it to the 25/4. I've never seriously worked on the 10/9, but my hands aren't very big either so I don't know if I could do it the way it is indicated, or even your version.

Just out of curiosity, can you play a (white key) 10th easily, or is it uncomfortable for you?

Quote:
Okay, here's something else I'm working on. This is the first time I've recorded myself playing this.

You turn pages really loud! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:17 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Well, it certainly is Beethoven Week!
Pete, I have never heard this before, but it sounded really good. Like ready-for-the-audition-room, good. I forgot - do you record with an Edirol recorder?

Thanks, it's an awful lot of fun to play, despite its difficulty. It still has its inaccuracies so I can't submit it yet (for some reason I flub the descending f major scale?!?!). But I think with not too much practice I can get it into really good shape. I'm also working on the other two movements of the sonata, I can post those a little later. The recorder is an Edirol R-09.
I can't believe you've never heard this one! It's Beethoven's sixth sonata in F major; the opus no. escapes me at the moment.

I haven't forgotten about the Moonlight Sonata in its entirety, that one's coming soon, too.

Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:42 pm 

Terez wrote:
Quote:

My piano teacher in high school had really small hands, and she played it 5-5-1-5-1-1, which might explain why I compared it to the 25/4. I've never seriously worked on the 10/9, but my hands aren't very big either so I don't know if I could do it the way it is indicated, or even your version.

Just out of curiosity, can you play a (white key) 10th easily, or is it uncomfortable for you?

Quote:

You turn pages really loud! :)

I can play an augmented 11th with my LH and a perfect 11th with my RH.. A 10th is very comfortable. Actually, I wish my hands were a little smaller, just a little.

Here's a scan of my left hand. This frame is 8.5" from left to right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:35 pm 

Wow. That's a big hand! I have trouble playing 10ths. I think the only reason I can play 10ths is because my pinky fingers curve inward a little - it's hard to explain how that helps, but it does.

Can you imagine me trying to play the 10/9 with the proper fingering? Perhaps I really could do it if I worked on the stretching for a long time, but it seems impossible to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I can't believe you've never heard this one!

I know, I'm not worthy.

That hand picture is neat. Did you use a regular scanner? Why don't you scan your face too so we can finally see you. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next