Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 am 
Site Admin

And I thought I was the only one working on it!:lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:47 pm 

You guys can have the Barcarolle. It's one of my favorite pieces by Chopin but I'll probably never be happy with the way I play those third trills. :( (ha, that probably sounds strange considering the etude I'm working on...but it's different!)

And yeah, you don't get to do just movements of a sonata in college, Monica - it's always the whole thing, alas. I'm going to cheat on the 2nd movement, with no qualms whatsoever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:
You guys can have the Barcarolle. It's one of my favorite pieces by Chopin but I'll probably never be happy with the way I play those third trills. .

I know what you mean. My trills will probably be terrible.

Here's another thing: I have only ever listened to Zimerman play the Barcarolle, but this morning I popped a copy of Rubinstein playing it into my ipod and took him with me on my morning run. My reaction was, 'yuck', and I never thought I would say that about Rubinstein. I always listen to him and Kissin play the mazurkas because although their interpretations are quite different, they are both good. So I was surprised by this Barcarolle rendition. Zimerman plays it much more gently - just how I think a barcarolle should be - like a boat softly swaying or gently bobbing up and down. Rubinstein's version reminded me of being in a raft going down the rapids on the Niagra river. He plays too gung-ho in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:40 pm 

well...i'm finally back in singapore at the music academy here, i got in about 2 months ago just before school started and i was offered a scholarship too!

besides the 30 mins provided by the school, i ended up getting another teacher from the school who is now giving me private lessons.

so these are the pieces that i'm working on for school requirements, for my private teacher and for my other teacher in canada who will be back soon.

Bach- Invention no.13 in a minor and French Suite no.5 in G major
Czerny Etudes
Mozart- Sonata in a minor K.310

Beethoven- Sonata in D major op.10 no.3 (Complete)

Beethoven- Sonata in C major op.2 no.3 (Complete)
Liszt- Un Sospiro
& finally
Mozart- Piano Concerto...just asked to pick one today, still undecided

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:34 pm 

mmm, I like the Beethoven 10/3. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:17 pm 

hmm, I've decided to go with Op. 110 instead of the Tempest. I like it better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:18 am 

Funny about the Barcarolle... To be honest, I REALLY didn't want to learn it. Everybody always talks about how it's "the most beautiful piece Chopin EVER wrote" (never mind the Berceuse (sp?), or the 3rd sonata, or.........), but I just wasn't feeling it. Now I love it, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to play it the way I want to :P

Techneut, if you're going to be the first, make it quick... I'm playing a recital next Sunday and that's on the program, and it's going to be recorded ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:57 am 

I don't know what it is about the Barcarolle...I didn't like it so much at first either, but after a while, it grew on me. Big time. It's definitely one of my faves of Chopin now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:50 am 
Site Admin

diminished2nd wrote:
Techneut, if you're going to be the first, make it quick... I'm playing a recital next Sunday and that's on the program, and it's going to be recorded ;)

Haha no, this was just one of my many wild plans... I well knew someone would get there before me. Good luck with it. I will be listening with interest, as it really IS the most gorgeous piece Chopin ever penned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:32 pm 

I tried to sell Nathan on it the other day. He wasn't impressed with it at first, but he said it was growing on him. So maybe there's hope for him. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:46 am 
Site Admin

I dunno - I thought it was the prettiest piece when I first heard it. But I don't really feel that way anymore now that I'm seriously practicing it. Probably because I have to work so hard and it's taking a long time. It's still on my 'top 10 prettiest Chopin pieces', though (#1 is nocturne 27/2).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:52 am 

Monica wrote:
I thought it was the prettiest piece when I first heard it. But I don't really feel that way anymore now that I'm seriously practicing it.

Which is precisely why I said "you guys can have the Barcarolle". ;) I've read through it probably about 3 or 4 times, which was enough to tell me that I would hate it if I had to actually practice it. :lol: A lot of Chopin is like that for me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:19 am 

Actually through playing it I've come to love it now... especially just the last couple days I'm REALLY getting into it. Maybe I can see how some people could say they think it's the most beautiful music Chopin wrote. I'm still not of that opinion, but it's definitely grown on me exponentially the more I've worked on it. But good grief it was hard to memorize. it's so complex :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

diminished2nd wrote:
Actually through playing it I've come to love it now... especially just the last couple days I'm REALLY getting into it. Maybe I can see how some people could say they think it's the most beautiful music Chopin wrote. I'm still not of that opinion, but it's definitely grown on me exponentially the more I've worked on it. But good grief it was hard to memorize. it's so complex :shock:

I'm having to work so darn hard on it, so I can't get into that mindset of loving it while playing it. Like Terez said, that's why I changed my mind about thinking it is the prettiest Chopin piece ever. But yesterday I once again listened to Zimmerman play it on my ipod and he is sooo good - really very special - and now the piece is creeping back onto the top of the list. (Although I was in the woods and sitting next to a river when I was listening, so everything was pretty.)

Looking forward to hearing your version, Kendrick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:56 am 

i've selected my mozart piano concerto at last!
i'm learning coronation :) actually i started working on it 2 weeks ago and i'm memorizing it now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next