Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Different kind of quiz.....Appropiate, inappropriate?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:33 pm 

This is one of those little pieces I used to play through when I first came back to the piano. So the playing is not wonderful, and the recording equipment is worse. I recorded this before I got an Edirol.I suggest you don't listen with a headset. There is a hissing sound if you do.

Question 1: Who is the composer/arranger? (It's probably pretty obvious.)
Question 2: What famous composer influenced him the most? (Also pretty obvious.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Is this one of Billy Joel's classical pieces ?
Sounds rather like Kapustin in the middle :D
There is nothing bad about either the playing or sound - although they are perhaps not optimal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

"What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life".

Per Wikipedia:

"What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" is a song with lyrics written by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman and original music written by Michel Legrand for the 1969 film The Happy Ending and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song.

Legrand won the 1973 Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying a Vocalist for a version performed by Sarah Vaughan. More than thirty years later, Billy Childs, Gil Goldstein, and Heitor Pereira won the 2006 Grammy Award for the same category for a version performed by Chris Botti and Sting.

Apart from the award winning versions, the song has been covered by many renowned artists including Frank Sinatra, Dusty Springfield, Johnny Mathis, Julie Andrews, Shirley Bassey, Andy Williams, Barbra Streisand, Bill Evans, and Joe Pass.

**is there a prize? :lol: :lol:

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:04 pm 

Damn...I'm too late. I lost, again. :cry:

Post subject: Re: Different kind of quiz.....Appropiate, inappropriate?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:00 pm 
Uh, what a good arrangement, and played in a so fluent and expressive way....
Also the recorded sound is very good, a little noisy but the sound is rich in dynamics and timbre, so natural. A pleasure to hear it, very good idea to share it.

And now..
Do you gave me the permission to play his "Brian's Song"?
Yes? Done, I re-arranged the third part with uncanning bad taste, searching a symphonic effect, but I hope you'll like it the same.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QUIzv1iJKg

John, let's go with his "Windmills of your mind" (for "The Thomas Crown affair") or "I will wait for you" (for "The parapluies of Cherbourg").

All best,
Sandro

Post subject: Legrand
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:44 pm 

Congratulations, Monica! You give more information than I expected. I didn't know most of it myself without looking it up.

The prize? Well, er......YOU WON! That's not enough? Well, I have a BIG SLOPPY KISS (on the cheek, of couse) waiting for you the next time I see you. I bet that would make you happy. :lol:

None of you mentioned a famous composer except Chris. Am I the only one who hears Ravel's or Debussy's influence in Legrans's arrangement?

Thanks, for listening to this mess. I recorded these little gems about a month after I got out of the hospital from my transplant, and I was still quite weak. Thank God I have an excuse, at least.

Sandro, I enjoyed your emotional rendition of Brian's Song very much. I also have a recording of "Windmills of Your Mind" made at the same time and under the same circumstances as my recording above. Here it is for what it's worth, but I hope you will post your video of it. I'll really enjoy it. My version is very straight-forward without much to it, but here it is.

Post subject: Nut n' Honey
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:57 pm 

Doesn't that one phrase go on and on a bit much?

I want to apologize for lack of participation in PS the last few weeks. It's not because I've lost interest. I've actually slipped in and listened to most of the new recordings in the Audition Room, but I haven't felt like commenting. I've been very busy doing "other things" since I can't use my RH effectively on the piano. I've found it very depressing not to be able to post regular pieces. My glucose level is under control, but I've got to see all of the doctors again before I can have carpal tunnel surgery. I also have to invent a way to give myself four injections a day with my LH. That's more difficult than playing left hand piano pieces. :lol: Anyway, I'm going to try to participate more.

Sorry if that was too much info:oops: , but you guys had become almost like a family to me. :oops: :)

Post subject: Re: Legrand
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

John Robson wrote:
None of you mentioned a famous composer except Chris.

I am not a famous composer :lol:

Eek, 4 injections a day. Your LH will be very dextrose, er, dextrous after this is all finished. Keep in touch even if you can't submit ! I thought you were supposed to have that surgery in january !?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, John. I was happy to see your name down there on the bottom of my screen. So glad you are here, today! And yes - we are like one happy little family around here. Also, it sounds like things are going to move forward with your procedures instead of backwards like before. That's good news!

Quote:
Well, I have a BIG SLOPPY KISS (on the cheek, of couse) waiting for you the next time I see you. I bet that would make you happy.

Can't wait! :D

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com