Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Chopin Nocturnes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:33 pm 

Hi everyone... My sister stopped taking piano lessons a couple years ago, and hasn't practiced a whole lot since then. She just asked me if I have any suggestions for a relatively "easy" nocturne and or polonaise of Chopin to learn (she's going to start practicing more regularly again). I told her that I didn't have anything for her off the top of my head but that I'd get back to her about it... Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:06 pm 

The "easiest" Polonaise to pull off is the 1817 (see attachment below). I don't think that this piece is that easy beacause, technically simple, it is hard to make beautiful and convincing music out of it. I hope i make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 pm 

Yeah I know what you mean... Thanks for the download too

Any ideas for a nocturne?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:17 pm 

I think that for a nocturne, Op. 15, No. 3 in G Minor is probably one of if not the easiest one.

Op. 55, No. 1 in F Minor is a little bit more of a challenge if your sister finds the G Minor too easy (I'm not sure of her skill level). The posthumous C-sharp Minor nocturne is also easy for the most part, until the many-note scales at the end.

Do you have the scores to the nocturnes? If not, I'd be more than happy to post them!

"When one does a thing, it appears good, otherwise one would not write it. Only later comes reflection, and one discards or accepts the thing. Time is the best censor, and patience a most excellent teacher." - Frédéric Chopin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:21 pm 

Yep she has the Nocturnes... If the F minor one is the same one that I'm thinking of, she played that before she stopped taking lessons (she wants to eventually relearn the things she played before but she doesn't want to start with that because it would be too frustrating to know what it feels like to play it but not be able to :P) I'll look at the G minor one and see if it would be appropriate for her level now... She might be able to look at the C#m posthumous but I'm not sure. I'll review it and see if I think she could (I played that one a while back too :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:11 am 

There's an f-sharp minor one that's also not very difficult at all, and very nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:15 am 

Yeah, the F-sharp Minor is very pretty. However, it might be difficult with the triplets in the left hand and the eighth notes in the right. Otherwise, it's fairly easy. I love the ending!

"When one does a thing, it appears good, otherwise one would not write it. Only later comes reflection, and one discards or accepts the thing. Time is the best censor, and patience a most excellent teacher." - Frédéric Chopin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 pm 
I think, the Nocturne in Es would be good...I think it's not too difficult, I played it at...hmmm...the age of 12 years :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:37 am 

What about the posthumous A Minor nocture? If I remember correctly, that one is fairly simple.

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 am 

Do you mean E Minor? Because I'm pretty sure that Chopin never even wrote a nocturne in A Minor. Unless it was just discovered...

Now I'm praying that a new nocturne was just discovered, haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:33 am 

Whoops! :oops:

I just realized my mistake...

I was thinking of the A Minor waltz... silly me... :oops: :oops: :oops:

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.