Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Pieces for 2008
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 am 

Hello,

I've just joined this forum. I started learning the piano as an adult and it's become a real passion for me.

I'm working on an ATCL recital diploma at the moment. I've chosen Mozart's K311 sonata, Beethoven's Andante in F, a posthumous waltz by Chopin (e minor) and Debussy's Jardins sous la Pluie.

I'm concentrating on the above repertoire for the time being, but I also have Mozart's Fantasy in C minor under way. If I pass the ATCL (possibly in the summer), I would like to learn Debussy's Pour le Piano and definitely more Chopin - possibly some studies, but they do look a bit scary (I've never tried them but I've heard Perahia play them).

I have a long list of pieces I would love to play, but it's all a wish list at the moment and I ought to be working on the problems with my existing recital: quality of tone, balancing chords, octaves (the ones in the Beethoven hurt so much because I have small hands!), uneven scales in Mozart, timing issues .... you name it, but here I am dreaming of learning yet more difficult music.

All the best.

Post subject: Re: Pieces for 2008
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Chopinesque wrote:
here I am dreaming of learning yet more difficult music.

Aren't we all.... join the gang !
I meant to say - welcome to PS :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Hi Chopinesque -
You are working on quite an ambitious collection of music. I like that Mozart, and the Chopin waltz I think is pretty hard. I also dream a lot about playing certain music, but what is even better is to put the music up on your piano and just try reading through parts. When I do this, I usually say to myself, "forget it, I'll never get this one." But low and behold, after a few more run-throughs, I'm actually able to make some music out the music. :lol: I may not ever get the piece down well enough to perform or record, but at least I challenged myself and have always learned something that benefits me in all the other pieces I play.

BTW - Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Good luck with your studies.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:23 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Op. 10 No. 6 in E-flat minor? That's the easiest etude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Ok – I just ran for my book. The one I am playing is Op. 25, no. 7 in C-sharp minor. Do you know it? It’s so sad and gorgeous! I love it!! Some tricky parts but I expected that. Can’t stop playing it today, plus I just found some more brand new music (Copland) that I can’t wait to learn. I have hardly left my piano all morning. So far, I’m having a great day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:28 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Ok – I just ran for my book. The one I am playing is Op. 25, no. 7 in C-sharp minor. Do you know it? It’s so sad and gorgeous! I love it!! Some tricky parts but I expected that. Can’t stop playing it today, plus I just found some more brand new music (Copland) that I can’t wait to learn. I have hardly left my piano all morning. So far, I’m having a great day.

Yeah, I know it, and yeah, it's awesome...but it's far from the easiest etude. :P Those left hand runs are no joke...either the little ones or the big ones. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:

Yeah, I know it, and yeah, it's awesome...but it's far from the easiest etude. :P Those left hand runs are no joke...either the little ones or the big ones. :D

I know what you mean. All of those runs are giving me trouble. If Chopin is 'up there' listening, he probably has his fingers in his ears, because I'm pretty terrible. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:04 pm 

Be especially careful on the second page (every edition I've ever seen has the same page divisions) - it's highly chromatic, and an easy spot to make reading errors. lol...I'm sure you knew that already, but I've heard this performed with apparent reading errors that became habitual several times by several different pianists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm 
Hi! I'm new to the forum but i have been visiting piano society for a year now.

Currently among many things I am working on the 1st and 2nd mvts of Mozarts Sonata K.333, i've already got the third down. I am also learning the 2nd mvt of Beethoven's Sonata No. 27 op 90.

I have my senior recital in late may where i am going to playing "Three Preludes" by Kent Kennan and "The White Peacock" by Griffes. I am going to need all the luck i can get with the last two! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:06 pm 

PianoBagels wrote:
Hi! I'm new to the forum but i have been visiting piano society for a year now.

Currently among many things I am working on the 1st and 2nd mvts of Mozarts Sonata K.333, i've already got the third down. I am also learning the 2nd mvt of Beethoven's Sonata No. 27 op 90.

I have my senior recital in late may where i am going to playing "Three Preludes" by Kent Kennan and "The White Peacock" by Griffes. I am going to need all the luck i can get with the last two! :wink:

You wouldn't happen to be a student at Loyola, would you?

Pete