Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pieces for 2008
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:29 am
Posts: 56
Location: UK
Hello,

I've just joined this forum. I started learning the piano as an adult and it's become a real passion for me.

I'm working on an ATCL recital diploma at the moment. I've chosen Mozart's K311 sonata, Beethoven's Andante in F, a posthumous waltz by Chopin (e minor) and Debussy's Jardins sous la Pluie.

I'm concentrating on the above repertoire for the time being, but I also have Mozart's Fantasy in C minor under way. If I pass the ATCL (possibly in the summer), I would like to learn Debussy's Pour le Piano and definitely more Chopin - possibly some studies, but they do look a bit scary (I've never tried them but I've heard Perahia play them).

I have a long list of pieces I would love to play, but it's all a wish list at the moment and I ought to be working on the problems with my existing recital: quality of tone, balancing chords, octaves (the ones in the Beethoven hurt so much because I have small hands!), uneven scales in Mozart, timing issues .... you name it, but here I am dreaming of learning yet more difficult music.

All the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pieces for 2008
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:45 am
Posts: 9638
Location: Netherlands
Chopinesque wrote:
here I am dreaming of learning yet more difficult music.


Aren't we all.... join the gang !
I meant to say - welcome to PS :D

_________________
Nothing is always absolutely so -- Sturgeon's law
Chris Breemer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:35 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8544
Hi Chopinesque -
You are working on quite an ambitious collection of music. I like that Mozart, and the Chopin waltz I think is pretty hard. I also dream a lot about playing certain music, but what is even better is to put the music up on your piano and just try reading through parts. When I do this, I usually say to myself, "forget it, I'll never get this one." But low and behold, after a few more run-throughs, I'm actually able to make some music out the music. :lol: I may not ever get the piece down well enough to perform or record, but at least I challenged myself and have always learned something that benefits me in all the other pieces I play.


BTW - Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Good luck with your studies.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
pianolady wrote:
Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Op. 10 No. 6 in E-flat minor? That's the easiest etude.

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:18 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8544
Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Op. 10 No. 6 in E-flat minor? That's the easiest etude.


Ok – I just ran for my book. The one I am playing is Op. 25, no. 7 in C-sharp minor. Do you know it? It’s so sad and gorgeous! I love it!! Some tricky parts but I expected that. Can’t stop playing it today, plus I just found some more brand new music (Copland) that I can’t wait to learn. I have hardly left my piano all morning. So far, I’m having a great day.

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
pianolady wrote:
Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Op. 10 No. 6 in E-flat minor? That's the easiest etude.


Ok – I just ran for my book. The one I am playing is Op. 25, no. 7 in C-sharp minor. Do you know it? It’s so sad and gorgeous! I love it!! Some tricky parts but I expected that. Can’t stop playing it today, plus I just found some more brand new music (Copland) that I can’t wait to learn. I have hardly left my piano all morning. So far, I’m having a great day.

Yeah, I know it, and yeah, it's awesome...but it's far from the easiest etude. :P Those left hand runs are no joke...either the little ones or the big ones. :D

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:07 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 8544
Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Terez wrote:
pianolady wrote:
Just two days ago, I started seriously practicing my first Chopin etude. It's probably the easiest one in the book (grrrr - don't have the book in front of me and can't remember what key it's in) but it's a start.

Op. 10 No. 6 in E-flat minor? That's the easiest etude.


Ok – I just ran for my book. The one I am playing is Op. 25, no. 7 in C-sharp minor. Do you know it? It’s so sad and gorgeous! I love it!! Some tricky parts but I expected that. Can’t stop playing it today, plus I just found some more brand new music (Copland) that I can’t wait to learn. I have hardly left my piano all morning. So far, I’m having a great day.

Yeah, I know it, and yeah, it's awesome...but it's far from the easiest etude. :P Those left hand runs are no joke...either the little ones or the big ones. :D


I know what you mean. All of those runs are giving me trouble. If Chopin is 'up there' listening, he probably has his fingers in his ears, because I'm pretty terrible. :lol:

_________________
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." ~ Frederic Chopin

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 am
Posts: 1418
Location: Gulfport, MS, USA
Be especially careful on the second page (every edition I've ever seen has the same page divisions) - it's highly chromatic, and an easy spot to make reading errors. lol...I'm sure you knew that already, but I've heard this performed with apparent reading errors that became habitual several times by several different pianists.

_________________
"Z Czernym poznałem się na panie brat—na dwa fortepiana często z nim u niego grywałem. Dobry człowiek, ale nic więcej..." - Fryderyk Chopin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm 
Hi! I'm new to the forum but i have been visiting piano society for a year now.

Currently among many things I am working on the 1st and 2nd mvts of Mozarts Sonata K.333, i've already got the third down. I am also learning the 2nd mvt of Beethoven's Sonata No. 27 op 90.

I have my senior recital in late may where i am going to playing "Three Preludes" by Kent Kennan and "The White Peacock" by Griffes. I am going to need all the luck i can get with the last two! :wink:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:34 pm
Posts: 1278
PianoBagels wrote:
Hi! I'm new to the forum but i have been visiting piano society for a year now.

Currently among many things I am working on the 1st and 2nd mvts of Mozarts Sonata K.333, i've already got the third down. I am also learning the 2nd mvt of Beethoven's Sonata No. 27 op 90.

I have my senior recital in late may where i am going to playing "Three Preludes" by Kent Kennan and "The White Peacock" by Griffes. I am going to need all the luck i can get with the last two! :wink:


You wouldn't happen to be a student at Loyola, would you?

Pete


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group