Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: New pieces
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:49 pm 
I am finally up to performing some different pieces after finallly finishing my last program of pieces :S. So far i have decided on the Toccata BWV 916 by Bach, sonata k 310 by Mozart and Jeux deau by ravel. I cant decide on my Chopin piece yet, i am trying to decide out of ballade 4 op. 52, scherzo op. 39 or scherzo op. 20. I was wondering what you thought of the relative technical difficulties of these Chopin pieces. I like all of them and i was thinking id play the most difficult one though :P so if you can give me an order or something. Also if you think there are any better substitutions for the aforementioned (bach etc.) let me know because i haven't started learning any of them yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:53 am 
Site Admin

I think the Ballade no.4 is more difficult (especially the coda) than any of the Scherzi. But at this level of virtuosity, questions about difficulty are rather moot, and in any case it seems a strange reason for deciding on a piece. Choose the one you like best and comes most naturally for you. The 4th Ballade is one of Chopin's absolute masterworks and musically way above any of the Scherzi (except perhaps the underrated 4th). I'd want to choose that one, but not for reasons of difficulty (without that fiendish coda, it would be 'easier' than any of the Scherzi).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:02 am 
Yeah i suppose i have more of a connection with the fourth ballade and i have decided to start that one. Not looking forward to the coda, i think ill have to improve my thirds just a tad :P Its a hard question though because i have connections with the other pieces in a different way, im sure most of you can understand what i mean. If i ever get any recording equipment ill post it when im done. Another question, what do you think about the Bach toccata i chose. Its hard to find a recording of it anywhere Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Steele wrote:
Another question, what do you think about the Bach toccata i chose. Its hard to find a recording of it anywhere Thanks again!

That toccata (bwv 916) is a masterpiece, especially the closing allegro which darts and dances around like you seldom find in Bach. Pretty damn difficult, too. But you thrive on that :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 am 

Steele wrote:
Its hard to find a recording of it anywhere

Why hard? Those by Gould, Hewitt, Richter and Rübsam are easy to find in good shops both on and off line. :-) I recommend Gould's Toccatas, one of his finest recordings ever, and especially the G major Toccata is radiant and exhilarating like nobody's else.

Alfonso Bertazzi, amateur pianist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:17 am 
Thanks for the advice. I meant i couldnt find more of an amateur recording so i can make myself feel a little better when im learning it :P I will make sure i get that recording of Gould's (not to eccentric i hope :D)