Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Piano society: all the pianists at the same work
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:22 pm 
The idea is to choose one or two pieces and play it (them), to make a comparison of the different
ideas and results of each of us about the same score.
One way to choose the pieces (not too difficult, the question is not to see who has a more secure technique): each of us (or someone) purpose a list of 2-3 pieces, than Robert and Chris choices
2 pieces (one for each of them) from the sum of our lists: then all us will record these 2 pieces.
My list:
Schumann : - "The prophet bird"
another piece from the same opus (Waldszenen).
Scriabin :Poem op. 32 n.1

All best,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:06 am 
Site Admin

Sandro - I like this idea, of course. It would be great to hear all of us play the exact same piece and hear how we are alike and different in our interpretations. I'm picking out three pieces that are not very hard and not very long. We don't want to listen to something that goes on forever, ten times.

1. Schubert - Waltz in D no. 6

2. Kabalevsky - Toccatina

3. Mozart - 1st movement of C major Sonata k545 (without repeats)

4. because I have to include one - Chopin Waltz in A-flat Major op. 69, no. 1 (without repeats)

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:27 am 

How about these?
(Prelude only)

Well-tempered Clavier Book 1 no.1, no.2 and no.21

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:14 am 

May I have a suggestion:

Carl Maria von Weber's "Weber's Last Thought"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:39 pm 
juufa72 wrote:
May I have a suggestion:

Carl Maria von Weber's "Weber's Last Thought"

Excellent idea! And Carl Maria von Weber is the most important composer to not appear in
the site's composers list (we need another Richter....).
All the other suggestions seems interesting. Let's wait a few days if Chris and Robert will
to decide....

All best,
Sandro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:40 am 
Site Admin

Well, it does not need to be me or Chris who decides. We have so much to decide anyway so I would be happy if someone else did that this time. But I will try to record whatever it will become.

Sandro, sa this is your idea (excellent by the way), so why not you decide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:36 am 
Site Admin

Can't say I warm to the idea. I know comparing is your game Sandro, but I would not want to sit and listen to dozens of performances of the same piece. Nor decide what pieces would be suitable. But may I suggest that a choice should be made from benchmark pieces, not someone's current personal favourite like like Kabalevsky or Weber. I'll probably go along with the game once it's started. Just as long as I am not required to evaluate all the performances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
But may I suggest that a choice should be made from benchmark pieces, not someone's current personal favourite like like Kabalevsky or Weber

That's not very nice. I merely offered up suggestions of short-ish and a variety of pieces. What is a benchmark piece? And I don't think Sandro wants you to evaluate all the recordings, just participate. Anyone of us can evaluate these (maybe). That is what this is all about and will make it fun, in my opinion. I could be wrong, which happens every once in a while. :wink:

Sandro - it probably is a good idea that you decide which piece to play. Please don't make it a hard one(s). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:49 pm 
> What is a benchmark piece?

Brahms-Paganini variations.

> And I don't think Sandro wants you to evaluate all the recordings, just participate.

To partecipate and to listen to all pianists. If each of us will give an evaluation (excluding himself)..
Cruel exercise, but with the correct "sportman" spirit...... . However not the most important question, that is (IMHO) the comparison of musical choices.

> That is what this is all about and will make it fun, in my opinion.

Of course.

> Sandro - it probably is a good idea that you decide which piece to play.

Ok: the Weber piece purposed by Juufa72. Short, interesting, not difficult, without "excellent"
or famous recordings: very good, IMHO.
Let's collect adhesions (4 or more pianists and the "Weber game" will begin).
This is also my adhesion.
From the date of the fourth adhesion we will have 15 days to upload our recordings. Ok?

All best,
Sandro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Sandro, I know english is not your first language, and I applaud you for doing so well with it, here. I would make a mess of things if I had to write in german only. (just ask my cousin, who begged me to return to english). But when you say 'adhesions' I take it that you mean you are 'sticking' yourself in the game. I will too. I have never seen this music, before, but it will be nice to hear our renditions. Do we take the repeats? And I think maybe more than 4 people will participate.

Last edited by pianolady on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:47 pm 

techneut wrote:
But may I suggest that a choice should be made from benchmark pieces, not someone's current personal favourite like like Kabalevsky or Weber.

Please dont believe that I suggested the Weber piece because it is my current favorite. It's not. I scrolled through my collection of sheet music and found this one. It looks a little more interesting than say, a simple Mozart Minuet (like my recording on the site), but it is not hard because my second suggestion would have been this one:

Post subject: Weber?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:55 pm 

I'm confused. When I opened Juufa's download, it is Lizst, not Weber. So are we using this piece?

PS: I'd like to participate.

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:11 pm 

Or did you mean both the Weber and the Liszt. I hope not because I really don't like Liszt. I've read through both pieces and don't like the Liszt enough to even read through it again. It's OK if the rest of you want to use the Liszt. I'll enjoy listening to your performances.

Post subject: Mozart
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:30 pm 

You played the entire sonata impeccably as usual...a very elegant performance. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. It surprises me how much I liked the sound of a digital piano on this composition. I found the “digital” sound especially effective in the Adagio. I bet Mozart himself would like it. I know absolutely nothing about digital pianos and don’t like the sound as well as I do an acoustic piano for most works. However, I must admit that it’s a delight to hear a piano so in tune as this.

Post subject: Nap time
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:33 pm 

Forgive me, friends. I accidentally posted my reaction to the Mozart Sonata. I thought I was still in the Audition Room..................X@ZZ#@#%$@$%^@$!XXZ#$!@~!!!!!!!!!