Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Suggestions.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:17 am 

I am looking for a sappy piece to play. But most of what I find I cannot play because it requires 88 keys (mainly the bass). I on the other hand can only utilize 76.

I don't know why but I feel attracted to funeral-like pieces. They have a certain ring to them which is unique and very catchy. Take for example Liszt's Il Penesero (Spelling? Trans.= "The Thinker"), or Chopin's Marche Funebre Op. Posth. Beautiful pieces, out-beautifuling happy works.

I've played through some of the simple sappy pieces like Tchaikovsky's "The Doll's Funeral" and "The Sick Doll". But they lack the granduer which the above mentioned have.

Any suggestions?

-Jg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:12 am 

Maybe 2nd movement of Beethoven Appassionata Sonata?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:32 am 

hunwoo wrote:
Maybe 2nd movement of Beethoven Appassionata Sonata?

I don't think that is what he's looking for. Shouldn't be played without the other movements, either, imo.

My spontaneous idea is Mendelssohn' Songs without Words, if you like them. Op.62 no.3 is a good funeral march. And Op.19 no.2 would perhaps fit, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:59 am 
Try Liszt consolation No. 4, possibly preceded by No. 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Julius - I'm not sure what your definition of sappy is, but there's a little Mozart piece that sounds like a funeral march but is supposed to be played with mock seriousness. My book says that Mozart intended the piece as a joke. It's easy and fun to play, although it may be not enough of what you're looking for. It's titled, March Funebre and underneath that Del Signor Maestro Contrapunto

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:11 am 

pianolady wrote:
Julius - I'm not sure what your definition of sappy is, but there's a little Mozart piece that sounds like a funeral march but is supposed to be played with mock seriousness. My book says that Mozart intended the piece as a joke. It's easy and fun to play, although it may be not enough of what you're looking for. It's titled, March Funebre and underneath that Del Signor Maestro Contrapunto

I played that one. It is fun and easy(ier) to play.

I guess I need to discover it on my own. If I could I would go through Chopin's nocturnes but they are just out of reach for me.

Thank you all.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:28 pm 
>

I don't know why but I feel attracted to funeral-like pieces.

let's see.... the first of the list can be only the wonderful Liszt's "Funerailles" (inspired by Chopin's
funeral). But many other Liszt pieces are very interesting by this point of view. For example
his later works (La lugubre gondola, "Unstern,disaster", Nuages gris etc.), "Pensée des morts"
(as Funerailles it is from "Harmonies poetiques et religieuses"), the "Miserere" from Verdi,
many Schubert transcriptions (expecially "Der muller und die bach" but not only this), "Il pensieroso"
and "Sunt lachrimae rerum" from the Annees, and surely others.
Scriabin first Sonata, LvB op. 26, Chopin II Sonata, Mendelssohn that "Lied ohne wort", Schumann
in the "Album for the Jugend" the piece dedicated to Mendelssohn memory....

All best,
Sandro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:19 am 

I would love to play Liszt's Unstern, Disastero. Or his Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, und Zagen. Or his La Funerallis. But I cant because I do not have a full-sized keyboard (88keys) I have only 76.

So I guess that limits me to happy pieces because I never hear happy pieces played in the lower register. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:55 pm 
> So I guess that limits me to happy pieces because I never hear happy pieces played in the lower register.

No one. :) :)

All best,
Sandro.