Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 pm 

Just thought of another set of Granados set you may want to try. It is the Escenas Poeticas. They are only three pieces but also not so difficult.

Yes, I have that set. I will look at them again.

[Where do I begin? :lol: Most of Chopin's nocturnes, his mazurkas, all ballades, most preludes. Granados, Beethoven sonatas (Tempest), Grieg - too many to say, Mozart - too many to pick out, and lately, Samuel Barber - his nocturne, the Excursions set (really great!). Sorry I can't be very specific, but I've got a million things going on right now and can't think clearly.[/quote]

It sounds like quite a repetoire. Do you play professionally? Are you also a piano teacher? I would love to hear any online MP3s you have if you can direct me to them.

As for me, piano was always an avocation. When I studied at the Mozarteum in Austria, I saw how hard the competition was and I do not have a competitive spirit. I just wanted to play because I loved the music and process of playing the piano. (I studied the Leschititsky technique) Thus, I became a teacher instead, taking the Orff Shulwerk program and getting a teaching diploma. Actually, I mostly now teach ESL (English as a Second Language) to university students and their spouses. I love meeting people from all over the world.

All my best,
Mozartiana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, I think I have misunderstood you. What I said before were pieces by certain composers that I like. But I cannot play them all.

I used to accompany choirs many years ago, and every now and then I play for company business parties. But mostly now I play only for my own enjoyment. I’m also taking lessons again.

I have a few recordings up on the site here if you really want to hear me play. Just go to the main Piano Society page and then go to “Artists”. I am Alianello, M. (Monica) But I warn you - I am not one of the good players, here (which is why I need a lot more lessons). And some of my recordings are really embarrassing. I do have the Granados Bocetos set up here, though, if you want to hear them.

And I’m glad you are posting your ideas about technique. It’s helpful to read other player’s way of doing things, or explaining things differently.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:01 am 

Ooooh I have a TON of favourites (not that I can play all of them :wink:)... just to name a few:

Chopin's 2nd and 4th scherzi, and his first ballade. Also, his Andante Spianato and Grand Polonaise
Corigliano's Etude Fantasy
Beethoven's Appassianata sonata
Stravinsky's Three Movements from Petrouchka
Chopin's 3rd sonata
Liszt's 6th hungarian rhapsody
Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit

I could go on for a long time... and then there are the pieces that aren't just piano solo......

Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto
Prokofiev's 2nd and 3rd concerti (I'm going to start working on the 3rd one this week! yay! :D)
Dvorak's piano quintet in A major
Mozart's 23rd concerto

........... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:46 am 

Beethoven, opus 111.
(If I can count all the Beethoven Sonatas as one piece, that would be my favorite music for solo piano.)

My favorite choral work is Mozart's Requiem.
Orchestral...Beethoven's sixth symphony.
Piano concerto, Chopin's f-minor.
Voice and piano, Chopin: Songs Op. 74
Vivaldi's Four Seasons are beyond compare.

I could go on forever.

Ironically enough, I have a weakness for atonal music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:33 pm 

Mr personal favorite has to be Scirabin's etude in C-Sharp Minor, Op. 2, No. 1.

The way the piece progresses harmonically and melodically is simply amazing, and the overall mood of the piece is wonderful. When played with real feeling, it is one of the greatest pieces ever!

There are a lot more that I like though:

Rachmaninoff: Prelude in E, Nocturne in C Minor
Chopin: Prelude in G Minor, Ballade No. 1
Beethoven: Third movement of the "moonlight" sonata
Bach: C Minor Partita
Scriabin: 3rd and 4th movements of sonata no. 1, 1st and 4th movements of sonata no. 3, 9th sonata, Etude in D-Sharp Minor, Op. 8, No. 12, Etude in B Minor, Op. 8, No. 3.

"This is death! This is death as this emanation of the female which leads to unification ... death and love ... this is the abyss." This is not music", said [Sabaneev] to him, "this is something else..." - "This is the Mysterium," he said softly.