Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Double Thirds (Chopin Etude)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:14 am 

Hi so I am new to this site. I have been working on Chopin's double third etude (op 25 no 6) for maybe 2 months. Im not overly concerned about getting it up to speed for now, but just have some questions about the technique of double thirds.

What is the best way to get the chromatic double thirds scales down at a fast tempo? I have been playing the piece at half speed just fine, the problems start happening when I try to increase the speed to the marked tempo. I have been accenting every third beat which seems to keep the momentum. I can somewhat play the chromatic runs at tempo but they do not sound very legato and sound choppy. Any tips? I have watched some great tutorials on double thrids which can be found here which I have been applying to my practice:

Taubman Technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7D6qqpAGw
Op. 25 No. 6 Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZCjGqiLhTE

Does anyone have any tips or secrets to share for the descending g-sharp minor scale that can be found in measures 11 and 13? This seems to give me the most trouble with an increase in speed, it just sounds choppy and un-smooth.

Also, does anyone have a particular edition they recommend of chopin's etudes that would have ideal fingering? I have been using an Alfred Masterwork Edition which seems to favor the Mikuli fingering, I think....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Double Thirds (Chopin Etude)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:48 am 

If you would like, I can send you Cortots notes and excersies on Chopins Etudes, they are really helpful.

Post subject: Re: Double Thirds (Chopin Etude)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:07 pm 

I have worked on this one. Even if you are using the right fingering, this one still requires ultimate relaxation to bring up to tempo. The slightest bit of tension will lock up your hand and make it impossible to go any faster. The best advice I can give you is to pretend like it's easy. :wink: As for the hard bits you mentioned...yes, I imagine those bits are the hardest in the piece for everyone. Best advice there is to make it smooth at the slower tempo - again, relaxation is key; quick crossing also helps - before trying to take it faster. Trying to push tempo before you're ready will only put bad habits of tension in your technique.