Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Recording multiple parts for piano
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:01 am 

I'm asking this primarily to those who have done it, but anyone is welcome to comment on their opinions. How do you go about studying and recording a multiple-part piece for piano (4 hands, 6 hands, etc.) by yourself? Do you study one of the parts all the way through first? The prima, the seconda? Do you practice segments of them in parallel? What works best?

:-)

Marcelo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

I've screwed around a little with this kind of thing but have not yet made a 'real' recording. Still waiting on a Granados duet book I ordered weeks ago. It must have circled the globe several times by now and I do wish it would hurry up and get to me! :evil:

(sorry - a little rant there.)

Marcelo, I do think that you just need to be able to have both parts down solid. Then just start doing some trial run-throughs. The hand that plays first should be the hand to record first. And when you have a good clean version, listen to it in earphones while you record the other part on top of it.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano
my personal website: http://www.monicaalianello.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Admin

pianolady wrote:
The hand that plays first should be the hand to record first.

I would not make that a rule. In some cases the secondo part simply stamps out the rhythm (like in the Petersburger Schlittenfahrt I recorded with myself) and then I think that's best recorded first. Although I could not say why exactly - it just worked for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:23 am 

Quote:
And when you have a good clean version, listen to it in earphones while you record the other part on top of it.

Recording each part separately works well, especially when you're listening to one part while recording the other. Otherwise there may be a tendency for the two parts to separate little by little (actually that can happen even if you have somebody playing the other part :) )