Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:30 pm 

I agreed what PETE had said above. Partly from that, both physical and mental relaxzation is required to a point that you dnt fall asleep or flop your hands on key board. One day you will reach to a stage that playing chords or difficult two hands quick passages with out any feel of physical exertion...is like touching a feather on a bird. This takes time, another words, a relaxed tone should be produced without harshness in both fff and ppp.

Cheers from australia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:16 am 

I don't think big pieces require power - forte's are achieved by the quickness of the finger on the key's action - not the force. Ask a piano technician! Some pieces are more tiring -but what's needed isn't strength - it's endurance! I know - it all comes back to "the more you practice....."

If I have a piece that tires me out I figure out the most 'tiring' section and repeat it as often as possible! When I can play it several times a day up to tempo - I'm ready to perform it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:30 am 

Mizzle wrote:
"forte's are achieved by the quickness of the finger on the key's action - not the force"

Just a quick note: Force is defined by mass and acceleration, this makes your statement contradictory. Force is most certainly what you need to achieve a forte. I am assuming what you mean is "not the strength".

"Shame on me!" I was obviously forgetting my physics. Thanks for the correction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:54 pm 

The other thing that may be lacking is the mental focus necessary to keep playing a forte correctly. I have students who will 'get it' initially, but they do have difficulty in sustaining it. As they play properly at the beginning, it seems to be more a matter of focus than anything else. As they lose focus they try to 'muscle' their way through, which just tires them out more!