Piano Society
Free Classical Keyboard Recordings
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour

Post subject: Your hands
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

I know we've talked about how big or how small our hands are, but I'm interested to know your exact hand size. If you put your palm up and flatten your hand, you can with a ruler measure from the very first crease where your hand meets the wrist and then go up to the tip of the third finger. My hand measures 16 centimeters.

my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/monicapiano

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:09 pm 

My hands measures ~18.9 centimeters however my 5th finger is somewhat disproportionate to the other four fingers. :x :x

my LH can stretch from the left edge of the left shift button to the period button, I can stretch to the question mark button however the period button would also be depressed.

my RH can stretch from the right edge of the right shift button to the "X" button with ease the "Z" button is a stretch but like the LH, the button before it would also be depressed.

I have small hands, and quoting the comic duo in "Rachmaninov had large hands", "I have small hands, but only hands small" :lol: that video was hilarious. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 pm 

My hands are each 23.6cm long and have spans of 25cm(LH) and 24cm(RH). My right hand has a lesser span because of an injury at age two. (I tripped and landed my hand on a metal spike. It went straight through.)

From wrist to thumb is 16.0cm. Wrist to index finger is 21.0cm. Wrist to fourth finger is also 21.0cm. Wrist to pinkie is 18.5cm. In each hand, the measurements from wrist to fingertips are the same.

Okay, here's some overkill; the volume of my LH is 410cc as is the volume of my right hand! (That's news to me) I guess my hands are symmetrical.

You know what they say about men who have large hands....

they wear big gloves. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
(I tripped and landed my hand on a metal spike. It went straight through.)
Eeeewwwwww!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:08 am 

From wrist to middle fingertip, 17.5 cm; span is 20.5 cm (both hands).

Overkill: The span from my thumb to my 4th finger is also 20.5 cm; thumb to middle 19.5, and thumb to forefinger 16.5.

Serious overkill: The span from my 4th finger to my fifth is 6.5 cm; 3rd to 4th 7.0; 2nd to 3rd 10.0. 2nd to 4th, 12 cm; 2nd to 5th 15.5; 3rd to 5th 12.0. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:22 am 

From wrist to middle fingertip: 20.5 cm

Monica, I guess that Chopin did not have had larger hands than you (hope that makes you happy). I have seen the gypsum print of his left hand in Paris, Musee de la vie romantique. Small hand, very thin fingers. At least in comparision with my paws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Monica, I guess that Chopin did not have had larger hands than you (hope that makes you happy).

Not exactly. Now I can't use that excuse anymore. :x :lol:

Quote:
I have seen the gypsum print of his left hand in Paris, Musee de la vie romantique

can you go back there and measure his hand for me? (kidding - sort of)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:34 pm 

pianolady wrote:
Quote:
(I tripped and landed my hand on a metal spike. It went straight through.)
Eeeewwwwww!

Strangely enough, there was no pain. Lots of gushing blood (and a bit of sinew) but no pain. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:24 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Lots of gushing blood (and a bit of sinew)

double eeeewww! :arrow: (never used this arrow thingy before. What's it for, anyway?)

Still looking for the exact size of Chopin's hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:50 am 
Site Admin

MindenBlues wrote:
From wrist to middle fingertip: 20.5 cm

Exactly the same as mine :!: You always say you have large paws Olaf, and I always thought mine were smaller than average. Wot ho :?
Span is 22cm. Guess it's large enough after all. Nobody beats PJF's outsize claws though :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:17 am 

I can definitely see why he has more trouble with Chopin's 10/2 etude, though (I have always thought that was one of the easier etudes). Big fingers would definitely be a hindrance for stuff like that.

I bet he could play a mean sonata #2, though (I'm thinking of the first movement, especially). :) I don't think I'll ever be able to do that one justice...

Post subject: Pobrcito
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:22 pm 

Both hands from the wrist line to the end of the middle finger are only 18.5.:( Monica, seems to be the only one smaller. I can stretch to a tenth on the keyboard, but I can't play consecutive 10ths unless they include 9ths. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:57 am 

techneut wrote:
Exactly the same as mine :!: You always say you have large paws Olaf, and I always thought mine were smaller than average. Wot ho :?
Span is 22cm. Guess it's large enough after all. Nobody beats PJF's outsize claws though :lol:

Yes, nobody beats PJF's tentacles :lol:

And up to now I really thought to have large paws, but it seems pretty normal. The span is however larger as with Chris, about 24cm from thumb to pinky tip. So I can easily take a tenth also for consecutive playing, with or without some other notes in between. An 11th only with pain. A ninth I can take with thumb and every other finger, e.g thumb and index finger. For my span, I do stretch my fingers from time to time, as I think it is the same mechanism athletes do, after or before jogging to stretch the muscles and sinews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:46 am 

I can stretch about 11th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:53 am 
Site Admin

I'm a bit peeved by Olaf having the same hand length but a larger span. However with a bit of effort I can just get up to 23 cm which I guess is not bad.